Update: Man shot in Central Frontenac Succumbs to Injuries
Case Number: 13-PFD-178
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PFD-178
Mississauga (29 July, 2013) --- A 45-year-old man involved last week in an interaction with Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers in Central Frontenac succumbed to his injuries yesterday evening. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) continues to probe the circumstances surrounding his death.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 5:20 p.m. on July 25, 2013, members of the OPP Lanark County Detachment attended a rural residence on Arden Road;
• During the interaction between OPP officers and a male at the residence, police firearms were discharged and the man was struck multiple times;
• He underwent surgery for his injuries at Kingston General Hospital. He died yesterday at 7:48 p.m.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time the SIU has designated two subject officers and six witness officers in relation to this incident. A post mortem will be conducted tomorrow.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342