SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Brampton
Case Number: 13-OVD-231
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVD-231
Mississauga (16 September, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the motor vehicle injuries sustained this morning in Brampton by a 50-year-old man.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 11 a.m. on Monday, September 16, 2013, an officer with Peel Regional Police was parked in his cruiser at the Bramalea City Centre when he noticed a vehicle;
• The police officer and the 55-year-old driver of the civilian vehicle made eye contact, and the driver drove off. The officer lost sight of the vehicle;
• A second officer driving on Clarke Boulevard spotted the vehicle and proceeded to follow it. He also lost sight of the vehicle;
• A short time later, the second officer came upon a collision scene at Clarke Boulevard and Bramalea Road. The suspect vehicle had become involved in a collision with several other vehicles. One of the struck motorists, a 50-year-old male, was taken to Brampton Civic Hospital with serious injuries and then transferred to St. Michael’s Hospital.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342