Update: SIU Appeals for Witnesses to Motor Vehicle Death in Brampton
Case Number: 13-OVD-231
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVD-231
Mississauga (17 September, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to a collision that occurred in Brampton yesterday morning. As a result of the collision, a 61-year-old man succumbed to his injuries.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 11 a.m. on Monday, September 16, 2013, an officer with Peel Regional Police was parked in his cruiser at the Bramalea City Centre when he noticed a vehicle;
• The police officer and the 55-year-old driver of the civilian vehicle made eye contact, and the driver drove off. The officer lost sight of the vehicle;
• A second officer driving on Clarke Boulevard spotted the vehicle and proceeded to follow it. He also lost sight of the vehicle;
• A short time later, the vehicle became involved in a collision with several other vehicles at Clarke Boulevard and Bramalea Road. One of the struck motorists, a 61-year-old male, was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342