SIU Investigating Shooting in Ajax
Case Number: 13-OFD-293
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OFD-293
Mississauga (2 December, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury sustained by a 47-year-old man this morning in Ajax.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10 a.m., officers with the Durham Regional Police Service were dispatched to an address on Unsworth Crescent after receiving a disturbance call;
• Officers located a man a short distance away, near Williamson Drive/Westney Road North, and there was an interaction between police and the man. An officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck;
• The man was subsequently taken to the Rouge Valley Ajax and Pickering hospital for treatment, and is being airlifted to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. He is in critical condition.
The SIU has assigned eight investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1988.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations