Update: Man in Ajax Succumbs to Injuries
Case Number: 13-OFD-293
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OFD-293
Mississauga (3 December, 2013) --- A 47-year-old man shot yesterday by an officer with the Durham Regional Police Service has succumbed to his injuries. His death was pronounced this morning. At the request of family, the man’s name will not be released at this time.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10 a.m. on Monday, December 2, 2013, officers with the Durham Regional Police Service were dispatched to an address on Unsworth Crescent after receiving multiple disturbance calls regarding a man acting in a strange manner;
• Officers located the man a short distance away, on Dring Street and Unsworth Crescent. There was an interaction between police and the man, and an officer discharged his firearm striking the man. The man was taken to a local hospital and then airlifted to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto.
• He succumbed to his injuries this morning at 4 a.m.
The SIU has assigned 13 investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, one subject officer and four witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1988.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342