SIU Concludes Peterborough Vehicle Injuries Investigation
Case Number: 14-PVI-106
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PVI-106
- At approximately 5:30 p.m. that day, the man was driving a green pick-up truck eastbound on Hwy #7.
- The truck’s rear passenger tire was flat, the vehicle was fishtailing and swerving from side-to-side, and items from the bed of the truck, including a lawnmower and step ladder, were being deposited onto the roadway.
- At the intersection of Hwy #7 and Television Road, the man almost drove through a red light, coming to an abrupt stop in the intersection well past the stop line and forcing a southbound vehicle to swerve to avoid a collision.
- The subject officer was on duty in an unmarked police vehicle travelling west along Hwy #7 when he observed the man’s vehicle pass him in the area of Keene Road.
- The officer performed a U-turn on the roadway and began to pursue the truck.
- Seconds later, the pick-up truck crossed into the westbound lanes of the highway and struck a mini-van, approximately 300 metres west of Burnham Line.
- The man sustained serious injuries in the collision, consisting of multiple broken bones. The occupants of the mini-van sustained less serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342