SIU Investigates Shooting Death of Man in Kitchener
Case Number: 15-OFD-059
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OFD-059
Mississauga (3 April, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 21-year-old man last night in Kitchener.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Thursday, April 2, 2015, after 9 p.m., officers with the Waterloo Regional Police Service responded to call at 77 Brybeck Crescent in Kitchener;
• There was an interaction between police and the man, and he was shot;
• The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342