Update: SIU Releases Identity of Man Fatally Shot in Kitchener
Case Number: 15-OFD-059
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OFD-059
Mississauga (3 April, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of 20-year-old Beau Aaron Baker.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Thursday, April 2, 2015, after 9 p.m., officers with the Waterloo Regional Police Service responded to a call at 77 Brybeck Crescent in Kitchener;
- There was an interaction between police and Mr. Baker, and he was shot;
- He was pronounced dead in hospital at 10:10 p.m.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
At this time, one subject officer and seven witness officers have been designated. The postmortem examination is tentatively scheduled for tomorrow in Hamilton.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342