SIU Investigates Fatal Police Shooting in Guelph
Case Number: 15-OFD-098
Mississauga (20 May, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man this afternoon in Guelph.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20, 2015, officers with the Guelph Police Service were at the Guelph General Hospital when they encountered a man;
- There was an interaction between the officers and the man, and two officers discharged their firearms;
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and four forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations