SIU Investigates Fatal Police Shooting in Guelph
Case Number: 15-OFD-098
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OFD-098
Mississauga (20 May, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man this afternoon in Guelph.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20, 2015, officers with the Guelph Police Service were at the Guelph General Hospital when they encountered a man;
- There was an interaction between the officers and the man, and two officers discharged their firearms;
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and four forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342