SIU Updates Investigation into Fatal Police Shooting in Guelph
Case Number: 15-OFD-098
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OFD-098
Mississauga (22 May, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 36-year-old man this week in Guelph.
The man’s name is not being released at this time.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20, 2015, officers with the Guelph Police Service were at the Guelph General Hospital when they encountered the man in the Emergency Department;
- There was an interaction between the officers and the man, and two officers discharged their firearms;
- The man sustained multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at hospital.
The SIU has assigned eight investigators and four forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. A postmortem was conducted yesterday in Hamilton. At this time, two subject officers and five witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342