SIU Investigating Death in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TCD-116
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TCD-116
Mississauga (10 June, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 50-year-old man this morning in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Wednesday June 10, 2015 at approximately 5:15 a.m., Toronto Police Service officers attended a residence on Balliol Street after receiving a call regarding a suicidal male;
• After police knocked on the door, a gunshot was heard from inside;
• Officers were let into the residence by an individual. Officers located a deceased man in a bedroom.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342