SIU Investigation: No Charges in Case of Self-inflicted Fatal Gunshot Wound
Case Number: 15-TCD-116
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TCD-116
- Close to 5:15 a.m. on June 10, 2015, Toronto Police officers attended a residence on Balloil Street. They were responding to a call about a man threatening to harm himself.
- Officers listened at the door and heard what sounded like two men speaking.
- Officers knocked and noted they were police.
- One to two seconds later a gunshot was heard.
- Officers entered the residence and found a deceased 50-year-old man.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897