SIU Concludes Investigation into Death in Bluewater
Case Number: 15-PCD-254
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PCD-254
- Sometime between 4:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m., the deceased woman left a nearby family cottage and walked alone to the beach at the foot of Pavilion Road in Bluewater.
- After an hour, when the woman had not returned to the cottage, family members went in search of the woman.
- Not long after that, the woman could be seen about 100 to 150 feet from shore.
- The family called 911.
- When police arrived, the woman in the water was heard yelling.
- A family member and the subject officer entered the water arm in arm but were unable to locate the woman as the waves were breaking over their heads.
- Approximately one hour later, firefighters and the Coast Guard (utilizing a search and rescue helicopter) located the woman’s body and brought her to shore.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897