SIU Concludes Vehicle Injury Investigation in Brampton Pursuit
Case Number: 15-OVI-074
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OVI-074
- Just before 12:20 in the morning on April 19, 2015, a Peel Regional Police officer was conducting impaired driving checks at a RIDE checkpoint, in the westbound lanes of traffic on Clark Boulevard near Heart Lake Road.
- The officer stopped two men in a minivan.
- After initially indicating he would comply with the officer’s intention to administer a roadside screening device, the driver sped off west along Clark.
- Unable to read the licence plate or identify the driver, the officer returned to his cruiser and attempted to follow the vehicle.
- Turning south down Rutherford Road, the minivan reached speeds of up to 159 km/h (in a 60 km/h zone).
- Around Orenda Road, the minivan sped out of view of the officer.
- Seconds later, just south of Clarence Street, the driver lost control of the minivan, which spun and flipped before demolishing a hydro pole and transformer and coming to rest against a parked car.
- The driver was later diagnosed with a cheek fracture, and the passenger suffered a dislocated thumb that required surgery.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897