Shooting Outside Toronto Hotel Subject of SIU Investigation
Case Number: 16-TFI-043
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TFI-043
- Over the weekend, Toronto Police officers were conducting an investigation.
- At one point, on February 15, 2016, police followed a vehicle from the southwest area of Toronto.
- Near Don Mills Road and Lawrence Avenue, officers attempted to stop the vehicle.
- The vehicle evaded the stop. It was found not long after in the driveway of the Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites at 175 Wynford Drive.
- There, Toronto Police confronted two men who had been inside the vehicle.
- One man – a 31-year-old – was shot once in the right arm. He was transported to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897