Toronto Police Officer Charged in Relation to Firearm Discharge Outside of Hotel
Case Number: 16-TFI-043
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TFI-043
- On Monday, February 15, 2016, TPS officers followed a vehicle into the parking lot of the Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, located at 175 Wynford Drive, in relation to an investigation they were conducting.
- Outside the hotel, there was an interaction between an officer and one of the occupants of the vehicle, a 31-year-old male.
- The officer’s gun discharged, and the man sustained a gunshot wound to the arm.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342