SIU Director Determines Officers Did Not Contribute to Young Man’s Death
Case Number: 15-OCD-106
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCD-106
- Just after 10:10 p.m. on May 30, 2015, the young man told his girlfriend that he planned to harm himself.
- Friends and the London Police Service were alerted and a search was initiated.
- Close to midnight, a friend found him in a park at Southdale Road East and Adelaide Street South (Westminster Ponds).
- Officers and other emergency services attempted to revive the man.
- He was pronounced dead at hospital.
- A post mortem determined the cause of death to be hanging.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342