SIU Invokes Mandate in Fatal Crash Outside Smiths Falls
Case Number: 16-PVD-126
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-PVD-126
- Just before 8:30 p.m. on May 19, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was travelling southbound on County Road 17 when he observed a vehicle travelling northbound at a high rate of speed.
- The officer followed the vehicle.
- Moments later, the vehicle turned left on Kitley Line. It drove off the road, crashed into trees, and the driver was ejected from the vehicle.
- An 18-year-old man was transported to Perth and Smiths Falls District Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- A 16-year-old female youth inside the vehicle was uninjured.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342