SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting in Rail Corridor involving Toronto Emergency Task Force
Case Number: 16-TFD-157
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TFD-157
- Early this morning, a number of Toronto Police Service officers attended a rail corridor located between Weston Road and Highway 400, south of Sheppard Avenue West. Emergency Task Force officers were also at the scene.
- Officers attempted to execute an arrest for trespassing under the Railway Safety Act.
- There was a confrontation with a man. Shortly after, an officer discharged his firearm. A conducted energy weapon was also deployed.
- The 42-year-old man was struck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897