SIU Investigating Incident where a Peel Regional Police Cruiser Struck an Officer
Case Number: 16-OVI-225
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OVI-225
- Just before 10:00 a.m., a Peel police officer was working a paid duty assignment at the intersection of Mississauga Road and Barbertown Road.
- At the same time, police received a call about a break and enter in progress.
- Cruisers were responding to the call and were travelling north on Mississauga Road.
- At Barbertown Road, one cruiser struck the officer who was engaged in the paid duty assignment.
- The officer was rushed to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre with serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897