SIU Investigating Death of Woman in OPP Custody
Case Number: 16-PCD-229
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-PCD-229
- In the afternoon of September 7, 2016, London Police officers were called to the intersection of Highbury Avenue North and Trafalgar Street. The officers were responding to reports of a woman obstructing traffic in the intersection.
- A 39-year-old woman was arrested.
- The woman was transported to the Elgin County OPP detachment on an outstanding warrant.
- Just after 7:30 p.m., she was rushed to St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342