SIU Lays Charges against OPP and London Police Officers in Relation to Death of Woman
Case Number: 16-PCD-229
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-PCD-229
- In response to calls made to 911 in the late afternoon hours of September 7, 2016, London Police Service (LPS) officers were dispatched to the area of Trafalgar Street and Highbury Avenue North.
- Ms. Chrisjohn was arrested by LPS, and transferred on an outstanding warrant into the custody of Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers with the Elgin County detachment.
- At 7:52 p.m., Emergency Medical Services transported Ms. Chrisjohn to St. Thomas Hospital.
- Ms. Chrisjohn was pronounced dead at 8:43 p.m.
- One count of criminal negligence causing death, contrary to section 220(b); and
- One count of failing to provide the necessaries of life, contrary to section 215(2)(b).
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342