SIU Lays Charges against OPP and London Police Officers in Relation to Death of Woman
Case Number: 16-PCD-229
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-PCD-229
- In response to calls made to 911 in the late afternoon hours of September 7, 2016, London Police Service (LPS) officers were dispatched to the area of Trafalgar Street and Highbury Avenue North.
- Ms. Chrisjohn was arrested by LPS, and transferred on an outstanding warrant into the custody of Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers with the Elgin County detachment.
- At 7:52 p.m., Emergency Medical Services transported Ms. Chrisjohn to St. Thomas Hospital.
- Ms. Chrisjohn was pronounced dead at 8:43 p.m.
- One count of criminal negligence causing death, contrary to section 220(b); and
- One count of failing to provide the necessaries of life, contrary to section 215(2)(b).
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations