SIU Charges Peel Regional Police Officer
Case Number: 16-OCI-149
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCI-149
(23 September, 2016) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit, Tony Loparco, has caused charges to be laid against a Peel Regional Police officer.
An SIU investigation found the following:
• Just after 11 a.m. on June 10, 2016, there were multiple 911 calls regarding an altercation in Brampton.
• Before Peel Regional Police officers could respond, two off-duty officers (one of whom was the subject officer) intervened. As a result of his interaction with the subject officer, a 17-year-old male suffered a broken wrist.
• He was taken to Brampton Civic Hospital for treatment.
As a result of the SIU investigation, Peel Regional Police Constable Joel Mazzotta is now facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
• One count of assault causing bodily harm, contrary to section 267(b); and
• One count of assault, contrary to section 266.
The police officer is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton at 7755 Hurontario Street on October 11, 2016.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342