SIU Concludes Investigation into the Death of a Man in Timmins
Case Number: 15-OCD-096
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCD-096
- At approximately 8 p.m. on May 18, 2015, the 18-year-old male and a 17-year-old female were in a vehicle driving north along Shirley Street near Sandy Falls Road when the car was involved in a collision with a pickup truck;
- After the collision, the male stabbed the woman several times using a knife he had in the car. He also stabbed himself in the neck multiple times.
- Citizens who observed the collision managed to free the female from the vehicle and to restrain the male driver at the side of the road.
- Timmins Police Service officers arrived, arrested the male, and attempted preliminary first aid.
- Paramedics arrived shortly after, and both the male and female were transported to Timmins General Hospital, where the male was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342