SIU Lays Charges against Officer in Relation to Dawn-Euphemia ATV Collision
Case Number: 16-PVI-183
- In the evening hours of June 22, 2016, a 24-year-old man was operating an all-terrain vehicle.
- Sometime later, the man was involved in a motor vehicle collision and sustained serious injuries.
- One count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm, contrary to section 221;
- One count of obstruct peace officer, contrary to section 129(a);
- Two counts of perjury, contrary to section 131(1); and
- Two counts of obstruct justice, contrary to section 139(2).
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342