SIU Launches Online Video Series
Case Number: Videos
(23 February, 2017) ---
The Special Investigations Unit is launching a video series to provide Ontarians with quick, informative answers to frequently asked questions about the Unit’s mandate, jurisdiction and investigative process.
The first video, “An Overview of the SIU”, was posted today and can be found on the SIU website or on YouTube.
Additional videos will be posted regularly in the coming weeks and months. Topics of future videos include:
- SIU Investigators
- How the SIU is Notified
- Components of an SIU Investigation
- Length of an Investigation
- Disclosing Information
If you are interested in being notified of future video postings, please sign up
on the SIU’s website. If you have already signed up to receive SIU News Releases, you will not receive notification when videos are posted unless you also sign up for the Video Email Alerts.
Please note: This is the only time notification of posting will be sent through the SIU News Release Email Alert. Future notifications will be sent via the SIU Video Email Alert service.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342