SIU Lays Charges against Officer in Relation to Death of Abdirahman Abdi
Case Number: 16-OCD-193
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-193
(6 March, 2017) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit, Tony Loparco, has caused charges to be laid against an Ottawa Police Service officer in relation to the death of 37-year-old Abdirahman Abdi in July of 2016 in Ottawa.
The SIU investigation determined that in the morning of Sunday, July 24, 2016, officers were dispatched to the area of Wellington Street West and Fairmont Avenue. There was an interaction between officers and Mr. Abdi on Hilda Street, and he went into medical distress. Mr. Abdi was transported to Ottawa Civic Hospital where he died the next day.
As a result of the SIU investigation, 36-year-old Ottawa Police Service Constable Daniel Montsion is now facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- One count of manslaughter, contrary to section 236(b);
- One count of aggravated assault, contrary to section 268; and
- One count of assault with weapon, contrary to section 267(a).
Constable Montsion is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 161 Elgin Street in Ottawa on March 29, 2017.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342