SIU Called to Ottawa to Investigate Fatal Police-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 17-OFD-135
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OFD-135
- Shortly after 2:00 a.m., an Ottawa Police Service officer was driving in the area of Dalhousie Street and Clarence Street.
- At around the same time, on the west side of Dalhousie Street, north of Clarence Street, a man was shot. He was later taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
- The police officer attempted to arrest a male suspect in relation to the shooting. The male fled.
- A third man was then shot. That 43-year-old man was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- The police officer followed the male suspect who fled.
- Inside a parking garage on Murray Street, east of Dalhousie Street, there was a confrontation between the man who fled and the police officer. Several shots were fired.
- The man who fled was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342