SIU Complainant Succumbs to Injuries While in Ottawa Hospital
Case Number: 17-PCD-136
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PCD-136
(21 June, 2017) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding an incident involving police and a 43-year-old man that occurred earlier this month near Smiths Falls.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- In the afternoon hours of Saturday, June 3, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer contacted a man by phone informing him of a pending arrest.
- At 3:20 p.m., the man called 911 reporting that he had sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- Police and EMS attended and the man was transported to Ottawa Civic Hospital by air ambulance.
- On Friday, June 9, 2017, the man succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342