SIU Complainant Succumbs to Injuries While in Ottawa Hospital
Case Number: 17-PCD-136
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PCD-136
- In the afternoon hours of Saturday, June 3, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer contacted a man by phone informing him of a pending arrest.
- At 3:20 p.m., the man called 911 reporting that he had sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- Police and EMS attended and the man was transported to Ottawa Civic Hospital by air ambulance.
- On Friday, June 9, 2017, the man succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations