SIU Terminates Investigation into Death of Man in Rideau Township
Case Number: 17-PCD-136
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PCD-136
- In the afternoon hours of June 3, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police officer with the Rideau Lakes detachment contacted the man by phone to advise him of pending charges. The officer advised the man to turn himself in, and told the man he would be released on an undertaking.
- At 3:20 p.m., the man called 911 and reported that he had shot himself.
- Police officers and paramedics were dispatched to the man’s home, where he was located in nearby bushes.
- He was transported to the Ottawa Civic Hospital by air ambulance, and underwent surgery.
- The man succumbed to his injuries. He was pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m. on June 9, 2017.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342