SIU Investigating After Vehicle Falls into Lake Erie
Case Number: 17-POD-154
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-POD-154
- At approximately 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 23, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer with the Elgin County detachment noticed a vehicle being operated on Springfield Road, in the area of Nova Scotia Line.
- The officer began following the vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle drove off of a cliff and into Lake Erie.
- As of Saturday afternoon, the OPP was still conducting a recovery operation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342