SIU Terminates Investigation into Case where Vehicle Plunged into Lake Erie
Case Number: 17-POD-154
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-POD-154
- In the afternoon hours of Friday, June 23, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police officer with the Elgin County detachment began following a vehicle of interest that was being operated on Springfield Road.
- When the driver of the vehicle tossed an item from the vehicle, the police officer stopped to retrieve it.
- Meanwhile, the vehicle continued southbound on Springfield Road at a high rate of speed. The vehicle sped past a turnaround, drove into a field and drove off of a cliff and into Lake Erie.
- The police officer that had been following the vehicle appeared at the turnaround several minutes later, and was directed to where the vehicle had gone.
- The man’s body was recovered from the lake the following day.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342