SIU Lays Charges against Toronto Police Officer
Case Number: 17-TCI-098
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-098
- At approximately 2 a.m. on December 28, 2016, a TPS off-duty officer was involved in an interaction with the man in the area of Thickson Road and William Stephenson Drive.
- Officers with the Durham Regional Police Service arrived and arrested the man.
- The man was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with serious injuries.
- One count of aggravated assault, contrary to section 268;
- One count of assault with a weapon, contrary to section 267(a); and
- One count of public mischief, contrary to section 140.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342