SIU Lays Charges against Toronto Police Officer
Case Number: 17-TCI-098
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-098
- At approximately 2 a.m. on December 28, 2016, a TPS off-duty officer was involved in an interaction with the man in the area of Thickson Road and William Stephenson Drive.
- Officers with the Durham Regional Police Service arrived and arrested the man.
- The man was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with serious injuries.
- One count of aggravated assault, contrary to section 268;
- One count of assault with a weapon, contrary to section 267(a); and
- One count of public mischief, contrary to section 140.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations