SIU Charges Police Officer in Relation to Man’s Arrest in London
Case Number: 17-OCI-113
- Shortly before 8 a.m. on May 12, 2017, the LPS received a call regarding a man standing on the side of Wellington Road, south of Wilkins Street.
- Police officers responded to the area and arrested the man. The man was released unconditionally by the police officers.
- Later that day, the man was transported to hospital as a result of experiencing pain. He was later diagnosed with serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342