SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Arnprior, Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 17-PVD-276
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PVD-276
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has been called to investigate the circumstances surrounding a multi-vehicle collision in Arnprior that resulted in the death of a woman. Investigators are appealing for witnesses.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- In the early afternoon hours of September 25, 2017, the Ontario Provincial Police were notified of a vehicle theft in a municipality west of Arnprior.
- Sometime after 4:00 p.m., a vehicle was travelling northeast along Daniel Street South in Arnprior. At Daniel St. S. and Edey Street, the vehicle collided with two other vehicles.
- The driver of the vehicle travelling along Daniel St. S. – a 20-year-old man – was rushed to hospital.
- The driver of one of the vehicles that was struck – a 65-year-old woman – was pronounced dead at the scene of the collision.
Five investigators, two forensic investigators, and one collision reconstructionist have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU believes there were a number of witnesses to this incident and is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342