SIU Investigating Death of Woman in Windsor
Case Number: 17-OOD-267
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OOD-267
- At approximately 8 p.m. on Monday, September 4, 2017, a 26-year-old woman was arrested by officers with Windsor Police Service and she was taken to the police station.
- As the woman was behaving erratically, EMS was called and the woman was transported to hospital.
- The woman was released from hospital the following day, but readmitted on September 10, 2017.
- On September 18, 2017, the woman was taken off life support, and soon after was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342