SIU Investigating Collision East of Peterborough
Case Number: 18-PVI-035
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PVI-035
- At approximately 5:30 p.m. on February 6, 2018, an ambulance was heading eastbound on Highway 7, west of Highway 28, en route to a collision scene. As a result, traffic had moved over to the shoulder to make way.
- An Ontario Provincial Police cruiser was behind the ambulance, traveling to the same collision scene.
- When the ambulance passed, a civilian vehicle pulled back into the lane. The vehicle became involved in a collision with the police cruiser.
- The 46-year-old driver of the civilian vehicle sustained serious injuries and was transported to a Peterborough hospital for treatment. He was then airlifted to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
- The police officer who was operating the cruiser was also taken to hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342