SIU Lays Charge against Ontario Provincial Police Officer with Peterborough Detachment in Relation to Collision
Case Number: 18-PVI-035
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PVI-035
- At approximately 5:25 p.m. on February 6, 2018, an OPP officer was traveling eastbound on Highway 7, en route to a call.
- In the area of Highway 7 and Highway 28, the police cruiser became involved in a collision with another vehicle.
- The driver of the civilian vehicle – a 46-year-old man – sustained serious injuries and was transported to a Peterborough hospital for treatment. He was then airlifted to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342