SIU Investigating Death of Man in North Bay
Case Number: 18-OCD-053
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OCD-053
- At approximately 5 a.m. On February 22, 2018, officers with the North Bay Police Service responded to a residence in response to a domestic dispute.
- Upon arrival, officers became involved in an interaction with a man.
- As a result of the man going into medical distress, he was transported by ambulance to hospital.
- At 6:21 a.m., the man was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342