SIU Lays Charges against Two Durham Regional Police Service Officers
Case Number: 17-OCI-094
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OCI-094
- On the night of April 26, 2017 in Oshawa, the man was a passenger in a vehicle being operated by another individual.
- At approximately 9 p.m., DRPS officers had the vehicle pull over on Bruce Street.
- The passenger became involved in an interaction with the officers.
- He was arrested and taken to the police station. Shortly after, the man was transported by ambulance to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
- One count of assault causing bodily harm, contrary to section 267(b);
- One count of obstruct justice, contrary to section 139(2); and
- One count of obstruct peace officer, contrary to section 129(a).
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342