SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Pelham
Case Number: 18-OFI-341
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFI-341
- On November 29, 2018, Niagara Regional Police Service officers were in the area of Effingham Street and Roland Road to investigate a collision that had occurred days prior.
- Around noon, two of the officers became involved in an altercation. A firearm was discharged and one of the officers was struck.
- The 52-year-old officer was transported to hospital by ambulance, and then airlifted to Hamilton General Hospital where he remains in critical condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342