Kingston Police Officer Faces Charges in Relation to Collision between Cruiser and Bicycle
Case Number: 18-OVI-306
(4 March, 2019) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Tony Loparco, has reasonable grounds to believe that a Kingston Police officer committed criminal offences in relation to the serious injuries sustained by a 39-year-old man in September of 2018. Director Loparco has caused charges to be laid against the officer.
The SIU investigation found that on September 19, 2018, a man was cycling southbound on Portsmouth Avenue when he was approached by a Kingston Police officer who pulled up beside him and ordered him to stop. The man did not stop. Shortly after, the cruiser struck the man, resulting in the man being ejected from the bicycle. He sustained serious injuries.
As a result of the SIU investigation, Constable Daniel Attwood is facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- One count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm, contrary to s. 249 (3);
- One count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm, contrary to s. 221;
- One count of attempt to obstruct justice, contrary to s. 139 (2);
- One count of assault with weapon, contrary to s. 267(a); and
- One count of breach of trust, contrary to s. 122.
Cst Attwood was arrested by members of the SIU, and later released. He is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 279 Wellington Street in Kingston on March 21, 2019.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342