SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Hawkesbury
Case Number: 19-PCD-112
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PCD-112
- At approximately 1 a.m. on May 2, 2019, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to an apartment unit on Abbott Street for a man in distress.
- Officers entered the residence and spoke with the man who was on the balcony. After an interaction, which included deployment of a conducted energy weapon, the man was apprehended.
- Shortly after, the man went vital signs absent. CPR was performed, and the man began breathing. He was transported to hospital for treatment.
- On May 10, 2019 – while still in hospital – the man was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342