SIU Investigating Collision in London
Case Number: 19-PVI-175
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PVI-175
- In the afternoon hours of July 28, 2019, Sarnia Police Service officers began following a vehicle believed to have been involved in an armed robbery at a bank in Sarnia.
- When the vehicle reached Highway 402, the Ontario Provincial Police became involved and continued following the vehicle as it entered London.
- At approximately 5 p.m., at the intersection of Southdale Road East and Verulam Street, one of the involved police vehicles became involved in a collision with a taxi cab. The two passengers – a 9-year-old girl and a 27-year-old woman – were transported to hospital for treatment, and they remain in hospital in critical condition. The taxi cab driver was also taken to hospital.
- Two individuals from the vehicle of interest were later arrested.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342