SIU Investigating Collision in London
Case Number: 19-PVI-175
- In the afternoon hours of July 28, 2019, Sarnia Police Service officers began following a vehicle believed to have been involved in an armed robbery at a bank in Sarnia.
- When the vehicle reached Highway 402, the Ontario Provincial Police became involved and continued following the vehicle as it entered London.
- At approximately 5 p.m., at the intersection of Southdale Road East and Verulam Street, one of the involved police vehicles became involved in a collision with a taxi cab. The two passengers – a 9-year-old girl and a 27-year-old woman – were transported to hospital for treatment, and they remain in hospital in critical condition. The taxi cab driver was also taken to hospital.
- Two individuals from the vehicle of interest were later arrested.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342