Officer Faces Charges in Relation to London Collision between Police Vehicle and Taxi Cab that Injured Mother and Daughter
Case Number: 19-PVI-175
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PVI-175
(16 April, 2020) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Joseph Martino, has reasonable grounds to believe an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer committed criminal offences in relation to a London collision that occurred in July of 2019 between a police vehicle and a taxi cab. As a result, Director Martino has caused charges to be laid against the officer.
The SIU investigation found that on July 28, 2019, at the intersection of Southdale Road and Verulam Street, an OPP police vehicle being operated by a Middlesex OPP officer became involved in a collision with a taxi cab. The officer was pursuing another vehicle at the time. Two passengers from the taxi cab – a 27-year-old woman and her 9-year-old daughter – sustained serious injuries in the collision.
As a result of the SIU investigation, Constable Timothy Groves is facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- One count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, contrary to s. 320.13(1); and
- Two counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm, contrary to s. 320.13(2).
Cst Groves is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 80 Dundas Street in London on June 2, 2020.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342