SIU Investigating Discharge of Firearm by Police Officer on Highway 410 in Brampton
Case Number: 19-OFI-228
- At approximately 2:30 a.m. on September 16, 2019, Peel Regional Police received a report of shots being fired on Highway 410 northbound, between Bovaird Drive East and Sandalwood Parkway East.
- Upon arrival at the scene, officers observed a man who had sustained a gunshot wound.
- They also encountered an Audi SUV stopped near a tow truck, and officers attempted to block it.
- As the Audi reversed, one officer discharged his firearm multiple times at the Audi as it fled the scene.
- The abandoned Audi was located in the area of Checkerberry Crescent and Geddes Lane.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342