SIU Investigating Death of Man who was Lodged in Police Station Cell in Oshawa
Case Number: 19-OCD-262
- Around noon on November 5, 2019, Durham Regional Police Service officers attended the area of Simcoe Street and Highway 401 in relation to an altercation between individuals.
- A man was arrested. He was transported to hospital, and then later released and lodged in a police station cell.
- At approximately 11 p.m., the man was found in medical distress. First aid was commenced, and Emergency Medical Services attended.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342