SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting In Stone Mills
Case Number: 19-PFD-267
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PFD-267
- At approximately 6 p.m. on November 12, 2019, a resident in the area observed a vehicle in a ditch in the area of 5 Lake Road and County Road 14. The man from the vehicle told the resident to go away, and said he had guns.
- The resident left the area and reported the incident to 911.
- Upon arriving at the scene, an Ontario Provincial Police officer became involved in an interaction with the man.
- The officer discharged his firearm multiple times, and the man was struck multiple times.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342