SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting In Stone Mills
Case Number: 19-PFD-267
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PFD-267
- At approximately 6 p.m. on November 12, 2019, a resident in the area observed a vehicle in a ditch in the area of 5 Lake Road and County Road 14. The man from the vehicle told the resident to go away, and said he had guns.
- The resident left the area and reported the incident to 911.
- Upon arriving at the scene, an Ontario Provincial Police officer became involved in an interaction with the man.
- The officer discharged his firearm multiple times, and the man was struck multiple times.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342