SIU Investigating Police-involved Shooting in Mississauga
Case Number: 20-OFD-005
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-005
- At approximately 7:45 p.m. on January 7, 2020, Peel Regional Police officers were in the area of Southampton Drive and Aquinas Avenue to make an arrest.
- Officers located the person of interest – a 28-year-old man – in a vehicle.
- There was an interaction and one officer discharged his firearm at the vehicle multiple times.
- The man was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342