July 24 Update: SIU Investigation into January Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Mississauga
Case Number: 20-OFD-005
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-005
- Investigators have interviewed the subject officer and eight witness officers from the PRP.
- A canvass of the area was completed in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. One civilian witness was located and interviewed. No video footage was available.
- Several items collected from the scene were sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis. The SIU is in receipt of these reports.
- A post-mortem examination was conducted on January 11, 2020, and the SIU is awaiting this report as well as the results of toxicological analysis.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342